[thelist] how can I establish a more reliable connection to my web server?

Joel D Canfield joel at streamliine.com
Wed Apr 25 11:29:24 CDT 2007

All my client sites are hosted at Crystal Tech, who are gradually slipping in my esteem with the repeated unpleasant experiences of the past year. Right now, my ftp connection (whether FireFTP or CuteFTP) is incredibly unstable. tracert and ping confirm that the issue is between here and Crystal Tech, not on their end. They have no useful suggestions to offer. I understand that Sprint's network reliability isn't their problem, but I was hoping for *anything* helpful. "Call your ISP" isn't.

Wouldn't a hosting service physically closer to me be less subject to the vagaries of the internet? Since I have a static IP on my equipment, and have email and websites hosted here, I really don't want to get a new IP address, which was the only suggestion they had for prompting a new network route.

For those of you responsible for multiple sites, how's your ftp reliability? Have you successfully overcome this issue in the past? Am I missing something?

It took me nearly three hours to complete a three minute task yesterday. It's killing me.

Thanks.

joel

Checked by AVG Free Edition.