[thelist] site design credit / photography permission

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Fri May 4 09:16:07 CDT 2007

Hi,  This is a reply to an old thread, new twist new client. I removed extraneous Q1/A1.

The twist --> client is a contractor, installs gates and fences both in commercial and residential locations.  They have plenty of pics of their jobs.

Will they need to get either verbal or written permission to show an installation which will focus on their product but likely include the owner's house in the background?

How about a commercial location, say a gate around a parking lot?

-Bob
-----------------------

A2) The answer to this would differ from country to country.  In the
UK the copyright owner of a photograph is the taker, the subject's
right to privacy is a grey area in legal terms, and therefore often
expensive in the event of dispute.  So businesses tend to cover
themselves.  I would recommend verbal consent more from a good
customer relations viewpoint, it would be a shame to make a customer
unhappy when it could so easily be avoided.

--
LK

--

The original q2 - I have a business who wants to show some before/after pictures of their work - in this case they do auto body work - do they need to getting permission (written, verbal) of their clients to show pics?  I assume I would need to make license plates illegible.