[thelist] extracting data from a MS SQL database back-up file (OT?)

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Sat May 12 03:51:59 CDT 2007

To restore to MS SQL Server 2000 (it assumes you have the client tools
installed - you can install these from the trial edition of MS SQL Server
2000 - the client tools do not expire). The first link tells you what to do.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Restore+Microsoft+SQL+Server+database+site%
3Amicrosoft.com

If you are restoring to MS SQL Server 2005, the first link here tells you
what to do:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Restore+Microsoft+SQL+Server+2005+database+
site%3Amicrosoft.com

SQL Server 2005 Express has two download options - with or without Advanced
Services. If you choose not to download the Advanced Services bit, then you
don't have Management Studio. See:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/features/compare-features.mspx
So either download SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services, or use a
different edition of SQL Server 2005 (e.g. Workgroup or Developer Edition).

Cheers
Ken