[thelist] image resolution overview

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Sun May 20 15:23:17 CDT 2007

I may have mixed this up (it happens) - you're right that a graphic is
the way to go.  I think what partly confuses the issue (for me in
providing explanations) is how this is accomplished in different image
editing programs when including resolution in the discussion.

Resolution:

In photoshop, if I go to adjust image size, there are more options than
non-techies should know about.  If I leave all checked (Scale size,
contrain proportions and resample image), then change to 300 to 72dpi it
also auto adjusts the weight and height giving a smaller dimension image
in addition to lighter.

However, if uncheck resample and only adjust resolution to 72 not
dimensions, it still produces an image the same size in MB as the
previous paragraph.

Dimensions:

If I ignore resolution and work with (and discuss) dimensions only, the
explanation is simpler.  In photoshop or Gimp I take a 300dpi image and
scale it down from 3008x2000 pixels to, say,  752x500 pixels, it is
fairly easy to explain why the weight has somewhat proportionately
dropped off as well.

3008px x 2000px at 300dpi = 2.54MB
 - converted -
752px x 500px at 300dpi - 133KB

When I add converting resolution to the discussion, it gets
complicated.  In an article I read it said that web pages ignore
resolution (I'm assuming that the div must be forcing the size).  I feel
like I'm making it far to confusing, just having an 'old' moment.

-Bob