[thelist] have a number increase on a webpage over time

Nan Harbison nan at nanharbison.com
Mon May 21 17:40:10 CDT 2007

Hi Evolters,

I am trying to have a ticking count of sorts on a website, per request of my
client. The site is for a non profit, http://projecthealthychildren.org/
which raises money to help children get better nutrition.So the client wants
a count on each page of how many children have died since you logged onto
the site. (Yeah, this has been hard to think about! :-(

Anyway, I have tried several ways of doing this, none of which worked except
putting it as an include on each page, where the include refreshes. (it is
under the header and doesn't show when the count is 0). I set it to refresh
every 3.6 seconds because one child somewhere in the world dies of
malnutrition every 3.6 seconds and it was working fine. But when you use
Internet Explorer, every time it refreshes it makes that annoying clicking
sound. So I set it to only refresh every 30 seconds, which

So the question is, is there any way to make IE shut up? Or is there a
better way to do this?

I am using PHP and/or javascript.

I tried making it like a clock, which will count off time, but once I
grabbed the time the person logged onto the website using php with sessions,
and fed the time to the javascript clock, it didn't work. I googled
endlessly and didn't really find anything  except the way it is set up right
now. I think it was from the Evolt List.

TIA

Nan