[thelist] job estimates with unknowns

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue May 22 20:51:02 CDT 2007

On 22 May 2007, at 16:56, Bob Meetin wrote:

> I'm sure you all run into this.  I've met with a client several
> times; I
> think they are probably okay but are hardpressed to find the time
> to sit
> down with me and put to paper, diagram, flowchart, list, etc.,  all
> the
> pages they will need for their site, who will own updating content and
> such, but want an estimate to determine if it's in their budget.  I've
> met with them several times already.
>
> What do you do, give a best guesstimate range? Say that's based
> upon......

'Working out how big the job is' falls between two stools - sales and
Business Analysis. However, if they're this unsure, then it sounds
like chargeable BA work to me.

Do a scoping study/analysis phase, chargeable on a T&M basis but with
an indicative cap. One of the outputs should be enough of an idea to
put a firmer estimate on a delivery phase.

Also, be very careful about what goes in the contract. Ideally, if
you're unsure of the scope, then phrase it along the lines of
providing Services to Assist the client in production of a site. That
way, the actual delivery is their responsibility; you're just helping.

Cheers
Martin
 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/
Sell Cloth Nappies from your website: