[thelist] MS Silverlight

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Thu May 24 10:08:13 CDT 2007

Fred Jones wrote:
> We need a feature-rich image editing module and one vendor has
> proposed to use Java (cross-platform and fairly commonly available
> AFAIK) and the other wants to use Silverlight.

What type of image-editing do you need? I don't recall seeing any bitmap or pixel manipulation in either the JavaScript-based Silverlight 1.0 beta or the DLR-based Silverlight 1.1 alpha:
http://www.silverlight.net/QuickStarts/BuildUi/CallJavascript.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232842.aspx

It's also difficult for me to imagine anyone trying to deploy atop such a moving target. Who's the "other vendor"?

Java offers pixel operations, but I don't see sites like Fauxto, Picnik using Java. TechCrunch has an overview of current in-browser image editors:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/02/04/online-photo-editing-overview/

jd/adobe