[thelist] What is the best programming language for the web?

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Thu May 24 16:11:40 CDT 2007

Sales @ Lycosa wrote, of serverside programming languages:
> In particular, I am interested in speed of development, cost,
> processing speed/server load and learning curve.

Lots of people defend what they know, but Adobe ColdFusion is pretty
much unassailable on the first and final metrics you cite.

Anything given away (PHP, ASP) take the prize in initial capitalization
costs, although they'd get more expensive when also looking at total
ongoing costs.

Server speed/load depends on what you're doing, and for how many.
(ColdFusion is a high-level language atop Java application servers.)

I'd echo Billy's point about balancing server-side and client-side
programming.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd