[thelist] dumb css questions for valid XHTML 1.0 Strict

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Sun May 27 22:51:06 CDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 00:12 +0200, Rick den Haan wrote:
> For a website I recently finished, that was targeted at the elderly
> (65+ y/o), our customer required a field study on how these people
> actually use websites.  We hired a company to perform this research,
> using a group of 30 people (15 male and 15 female) from 65 to 88 years
> old.  The results were quite interesting:
[...]
> * 28 of them didn't know about the right-click menu;
[...]
> The second point is why I'm against the "let the user manage their own
> windows"-approach.

I don't think breaking Web browser behavior for the users who actually
know how their Web browser operates. Like Ricky Zhou, I would have
guessed people that age would ask a younger relative/hired guru to
manage most computer-related affairs for them.

I compare (suggesting that) having links open in a new window is like
having the gas pedal in a car work like a brake pedal half the time at
random. (And I say "suggesting that" because this *can* be overridden
with e.g. Privoxy and/or a Firefox setting.)

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>