[thelist] What is the best programming language for the web?

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Tue May 29 13:42:01 CDT 2007

Paul Bennett wrote:
> Given that, in your opinion, CF is "unassailable" in terms of 'speed of development' and 'learning curve' (which were the metrics you referred to) and not a dying language (as is my opinion) I'd like to see some proof of the "unassailability" of CF compared to other industry standard server-side languages.

Well... go ahead, try to assail it.... ;-)

> In the same message, you made this statement:
>> "Anything given away (PHP, ASP) take the prize in initial capitalization  costs, although they'd get more expensive when also looking at total
>> ongoing costs."
>
> Given that the software is free compared to the $1,300 USD (standard) or $6,000 USD (enterprise) cost for CF MX server that's quite a claim.

Say you value your work at $25/hour... at that rate, you start seeing
benefits from higher-level, less procedural work after fifty hours.

(Granted, that's not exact, because you'll have different levels of
productivity at different stages of the different learning curves, but a
workweek or two, that's consonant with what people who use ColdFusion
attest.)

jd

--
John Dowdell . Adobe Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://weblogs.macromedia.com/jd