[thelist] silly Contribute question

Thomas Moore thdomo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:08:59 CDT 2007

OK Bob, the trick is to still have an include but let them use
Contribute to edit the file you are including.

You can do it two ways. One, have them find the file via the
Contribute menu selection "View" then select "Choose file on website"

Or....make a custom "Start" page. This is the initial page that your
user will see when then click on the connection. When you administer
the website you can select this initial web page and that initial page
can be any page you want. Usually it's the home page or some section
page.

But you can just as easily make a special html page with links and
instructions on it for your client only. Then you can put a link from
that page to the include file making it easy for them to find and edit
it.

If you don't want to make the include an html page like inlcude.html
but instead want it to be .inc or .txt or something, just test it out
first to make sure you can edit it in Contribute.

Our site has directory level submenus named sumenu.html that a script
picks up and places in each page. Contribute is happy to edit those,
and so any changes made to submenu.html via Contribute propogate
throughout that directory.

Just don't link to to custom start page anywhere else and don't name
it default.htm or index.htm or any other page that the server will
send to the browser for links such as:

http://www.mywesbsite.com/somedirectory/

Unless course you do some password protection on the directory or
something. But that only adds more trouble for your user.