[thelist] Google video timeline/chapters

John Dowdell jdowdell at adobe.com
Wed Jun 6 10:27:44 CDT 2007

Joel Canfield wrote:
> I can't find it now, but I saw a video on Google that, when you hovered
> the mouse over the lower edge of the video itself, a little timeline
> popped up with color-coded chapters (little rounded rectangles with a
> title on them, which you could click to jump there)

I saw that last week too, in a blogpost which I don't think I could quickly find today. But my memory is that it was specific content which was set up in chapters like that, and the SWF skin which held the video controls was a particular one which held the drawing routines, calling out to an XML file (maybe) for content-specific data such as chapter titles and timings.

Rephrased, I don't think that was a general solution, at least not yet... just a nice "chaptering" solution for video streams. Ideally, it would be addressable by URL, so that you could say "http://youtube.com/myvideo?goto=conclusion" or whatever.

Are you trying to make a chaptered video yourself? Lots of people have already rolled implementations of this before Google's particular example... here's a starting point:
http://www.google.com/search?q=flash+video+skins+chapters

jd/adobe