[thelist] Safari on Windows

Jason Handby jason.handby at corestar.co.uk
Tue Jun 12 11:22:53 CDT 2007

> If the Windows OS browser could be made to work just like the
> MAC OS browser, then developers can more readily test their
> web sites against a MAC Browser. Saving having to own a MAC
> or know someone who does.
>
> More MAC friendly web sites makes the MAC more appealing.
> It's a small increase, but considering the MAC has never
> owned more than 10% of the market, it's an important increase.

I have a client who likes Macs very much. He tells me that, having found
several websites that don't look right in Safari on his Mac, he has
switched to Firefox. He tells me this is quite a common strategy among
Mac users.

So I guess you're right, that could be part of their plan. By making
Safari more widely available to developers they might just encourage
people to test on Safari, which would mean more widespread support for
it and therefore fewer Mac users switching to Firefox.

It also comes across as an acknowledgement by Apple that serious
developers use PCs and need to be catered for. I'm not sure if that's a
good thing for them to be saying, but maybe it's true.

> My doubts are that the WinOS Browser will be "fundamentally
> the same" as the MacOS Browser. Blowing a huge hole in the
> above rational.

Yes, as someone with painful memories of trying to write Javascript for
IE on Mac and PC I entirely agree :-)

Jason