[thelist] i am new and desperate

Jeremy Coulson jcoulson at co.frederick.va.us
Wed Jun 13 15:29:37 CDT 2007

Greetings new friends!  I joined this list out of desperation to solve a
problem.  Hopefully I will find it a fit for me to stay well beyond seeking
this solution.

I am a PC Technician and Webmaster for the local county government here.
When I'm not designing web pages for our new site, I'm performing standard
computer tasks like installing new printers.  Last week I had to install a
new HP laser printer for some people in the building.  I decided to set it
up at my machine first to get the IP address entered and verify that
everything would be in order for a breezy install at the users' machines.
Unfortunately, when I loaded the CD and tried to install the printer's
drivers, something seems to have eaten up some crucial IE files.  I was
running IE 7.

Since then, I have tried to reinstall IE 7, roll back to IE 6, and even go
as far back as IE 4.  Old versions tell me that a newer version exists and
IE 7 tells me that I should uninstall older versions.  Dear Lord, right?  I
tried removing every reference to it I could find in the Registry and the
file system, but these installers still tell me they can't install IE.

Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal because I don't voluntarily use IE;
however, our e-Treasurer apps are all written in .Net and require IE.  I can
no longer update or test them.  So, if anyone has some brilliant suggestion
about completely removing all remnants of IE from an XP Pro machine, please
let me know.  I -- and the taxpayers! -- will really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jeremy Coulson, PC Technician/Webmaster
County of Frederick
(540) 722-8211