[thelist] [fun] Now this is a really sick use of HTML tables

Rick den Haan rick.denhaan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:53:47 CDT 2007

Robert O'Rourke wrote:
> Christian Heilmann wrote:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFOB77jLaE
> >

> good crikey! that made me eyes go gozzy.
>
> so which file is smaller? the HTML or the image? :-P

I ran a comparison on that :-P I took a 2445x1767 stock photo and ran a PHP
script to convert it to a table based HTML file. I didn't take rowspan and
colspan into account, so each image pixel is its own td, but the 2 MB jpeg
image turned into a 263 MB HTML file... For those interested:
<http://prive.rickdenhaan.net/swimming.jpg> and
<http://prive.rickdenhaan.net/swimming.html>. It's on my private server at
home, though, which isn't too fast a connection.

> would it kill a pc to use javascript to animate something like that?

Probably :-)

Rick.