[thelist] <fieldset> and <legend> vs <h2>

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Jun 27 07:12:47 CDT 2007

I tend to use fieldsets with every form, even for forms that have a few
elements.

Is it appropriate to use if the form only has a single field?

    <form>
        <fieldset>
            <legend>Name</legend>
            <input type="text" name="name" />
        </fieldset>
    </form>

It's been recommended that this is overkill and should use <h2> for
the legend instead (and I assume wrap the fields in some block-level
tag).

Seems appropriate since we are using it for most forms anyway --
doesn't seem like the number of fields (or number of fieldsets) should
make a difference.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org