[thelist] .NET and MSSQL data validation

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Thu Jun 28 17:37:46 CDT 2007

Ah - I did read that, didn't answer it though. ;-P

If you do data binding with web controls, you could be "linking in" parameters from other controls. The concept I understand - but when I do AJAX I route around the dotNet Framework.

See, I don't like that the dotNet tutorials I learned with taught a post back for each click and select. Seemed like too much work and too much irritation to the user. MS Report Server does this with the selectable parameters on a report. Highly annoying.

So I use AJAX to work any selects / form elements that need to be updated because of other form elements.

Now MS has their their own AJAX Toolkit - but we are heavily invested in the Yahoo AJAX Tool set because MS didn't release theirs until January and I needed a working tool set 12 months ago.

But you might want to look at MS's AJAX Solution and see how that integrates with the dotNet Web Controls and their data binding / view state / post back needs.

Hope that helps.