[thelist] Stupid linux/router problem

Brent Eades beades at almonte.com
Thu Jul 5 18:25:58 CDT 2007

OK, this is probably a little off-topic. But here goes anyway.

I've been running a personal web server through my DSL connection for
several years. A few days ago I was hacked by some SOB's who planted a
rootkit on the server, and kept using the back door to install a
phishing site on my server. Yikes.

So anyway; I soon realized that the only way to get rid of this rootkit
was to reformat my drive and reinstall Linux. I decided to go with
Fedora Core 6.

So: traffic to this server (foo.com) is handled by a dLink router
(address = 192.168.1.1.) I've assigned a permanent internal IP, via the
router, to this server (192.168.1.140.) and placed it in the DMZ.

I've reinstalled Apache, of course, and fiddled with KDE's 'network
configuration' utility.

And this is where things fall apart. At one point I guess I tried
entering 192.168.1.140 as the IP address for foo.com in some Linux
config file.

And now that I try to start the Apache httpd daemon, I keep getting an
error: "cannot assign requested address: make sock: could not bind to
address 192.168.1.140:80"

I thought I'd removed all references to that address, 192.168.1.140,
from my system -- apart from httpd.conf, which reads:

Listen 192.168.1.140:80

Anyway, it's been years since I last had to install a Linux distro; I
just can't figure out how to get httpd up and running in this context.

Suggestions?

--
Brent Eades
Almonte, Ontario