[thelist] sql order by sizes

Brian Cummiskey brian at hondaswap.com
Sat Jul 7 17:57:35 CDT 2007

Thanks to all 3 of you for the ideas.  I probably should have been more
specific.

DBMS is MS sql2000

The table is a mess of styles with colors, sizes, inseam, chest, neck,
head, .... you name it.  It's a horrid mess, but i can't change it due
to syncing with other systems.

I've created a normalized temp table of the info I need-  the size and
color pairs (as not all sizes are available in all colors)

sample data for a product:

ID  sizecode  colorcode  sizetext                     colortext
1    2XL         AP          2X-LARGE                ARGYLE PURPLE
150    LG          AP          LARGE                   ARGYLE PURPLE
190    MD          AP          MEDIUM                  ARGYLE PURPLE
230    SM          AP          SMALL                   ARGYLE PURPLE
270    XL          AP          X-LARGE                 ARGYLE PURPLE
310    XS          AP          X-SMALL                 ARGYLE PURPLE
2    2XL         BB          2X-LARGE                BERMUDA BLUE
41    3XL         BB          3X-LARGE                BERMUDA BLUE
78    4XL         BB          4X-LARGE                BERMUDA BLUE
114    5XL         BB          5X-LARGE                BERMUDA BLUE
151    LG          BB          LARGE                   BERMUDA BLUE
191    MD          BB          MEDIUM                  BERMUDA BLUE
231    SM          BB          SMALL                   BERMUDA BLUE
271    XL          BB          X-LARGE                 BERMUDA BLUE
311    XS          BB          X-SMALL                 BERMUDA BLUE

(+ 300 more rows trimmed)

To get this table, i'm using the following SP:

DECLARE @temp TABLE
(
    id INT identity,
        l1code VARCHAR(10),
    l2code varchar(10),
    l1name varchar(50),
    l2name varchar(50)

)

insert into @temp
select distinct s.l1code, s.l2code, s.l1desc, s.l2desc
from styleitemdata s
inner join inventory i with (nolock) on i.edpno = s.EDPNO
where i.sku like 'PRO8104%' And i.active='Y'

select * from @temp
order by l2name, l1name

I'm trying to make dynamic select boxes (color first) so that the size
box is rendered with the available size options of the selected color
only, and to display the sizes in order.

Should i not bother with the sub query as Matt suggested, and instead
use the power of the JS array for my sorting?