[thelist] [OT] shared remote network...?

Phil Turmel pturmel-webdev at turmel.org
Tue Jul 10 11:01:41 CDT 2007

Tris wrote:
> i've got a bunch of data, that i'd like to share with a few close
> pals, and also get to see what they've shared...
>
> is there an app or protocal that i'm missing to allow us to see each
> other as if we were all in the same network?
>
> we're all on static IP's and have access to configure firewalls and
> routers etc.. but I don't know the terminology to type into google to
> learn how to do this, or if we need 3rd party software...
> My gut says that Sindoze should do this, but some of us are on XP
> home, not Pro...
>
> anyhoo, ideas?
>
> Ta,
> Tris...

Try OpenVPN [1].  It does point-to-point tunneling where the
endpoint on each computer operates as a separate network card.
It can operate either in pure TCP/IP mode (most efficient) or in
bridging mode (most protocol compatibility).  Runs on lots of
platforms, too.

I use it every day for home-office VPN connectivity (windows
shares in particular), and it has been rock solid for the last
three years.  Pretty low overhead, too:  +20ms ping through the
tunnel compared to the corresponding public IP connection.

Regards,

Phil

[1] http://openvpn.net/