[thelist] [OT] Tech break down needed...

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Jul 19 07:16:54 CDT 2007

For the average office/information worker, 32GB is fine. Something like Windows XP would consume about 2GB, and there'd be plenty of space for additional applications (some kind of productivity suite, messaging application and some documents). And the average office worker probably doesn't need 10GB of applications like an IDE, database server etc, nor are they supposed to store their games, movies and music collection on a corporate machine. That's the market these types of devices are aimed at.

SSD have very low power consumption, and great random access read speeds. Booting an OS would be faster.

That said, SSDs are in their infancy (which is why they are so small, because those are the only ones that are affordable at the size). Remember that not so long ago you couldn't get more than 32MB on a USB key, and SD memory cards were about 16MB tops.

Flash memory is shrinking at a rapid rate - already we see 64GB and 96GB SSD drives. In a couple of years, I suspect that will be in the hundreds of GB.

But perhaps not suitable for you at the present time.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Tris
Sent: Thursday, 19 July 2007 8:52 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] [OT] Tech break down needed...

I thought as much, but I'll still have to carry around my protable
hard drive for movies on the train, and any other large scale app...
adn that'll have to be powered by my laptop...
Seems good if I'm just checking email or writing code etc.. but
rubbish for any 'heavier' apps...
Windoze must use several Gig to get started...
Hmm, time to change to Linux?