[thelist] Anyone using Python?

Paul Bennett Paul.Bennett at wcc.govt.nz
Mon Jul 30 22:45:13 CDT 2007

Hi respectable eVolt community,

Just wondering if anyone is using Python? I've been using PHP for a few years and am looking at learning another language in depth as a type of side project.

My goal is to get into more OOP and break some of the procedural coding habits I've fallen into (even though cakePHP has been a great help getting me into MVC development). Python looks good at a cursory glance.

My options so far are Python, Ruby or Java, but I'm not overly keen on Java's "everything to everybody" approach (speaking from plenty of ignorance, so feel free to correct me).

Please don't turn this into a language holy war, I'm just looking for community comment from people who are actively using these languages.

Heck, dive in if you're a .NET or CF person too - I'm open to persuasion ;)

Paul