[thelist] client works sheets - good or bad or just homogeneity?

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 03:49:35 CDT 2007

On 3 Aug 2007, at 21:13, Alex Beston wrote:

> well it was worth the wait to see in writing what I felt in my gut.
>
> A.
>
> [..]
>> And unless you've got a cast iron client promise
>> to pay
>> for it, you'll be in serious trouble.

Which means either:

1) A Time & Materials contract, where as long as you're within agreed
     limits, the client can change their minds as much as they like

2) A Fixed Price contract, where you've a rock-hard scope statement
    as a baseline (which I sense is what  you're feeling towards with
    work sheets), and you've an agreed, unavoidable change process
    that impact-assesses *every* deviation from the original baseline,
    in time & money.

In either case, you need a client with the maturity to understand that
changes cost money. Even if the change doesn't bring in more scope -
effecting the change takes time and therefore money. Clients who don't
realise this are a major risk factor, so establishing the principle
is an
*early* task in the relationship.

Cheers
Martin