[thelist] OO JS, CSS typography, and a request to present

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Aug 5 22:26:21 CDT 2007

On 2007/08/05 22:44 (GMT-0400) Matt Warden apparently typed:

> On 8/2/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

>> > its still BEST
>> > practice to use a relative (non px) unit for now....

>> Pixels ARE relative (see the URL in my previous post), which I believe makes
>> them technically no better or worse to use than other relative units.

> Everything's relative, eh?

> The question is: relative to WHAT. Ems are relative to the font size.
> Pixels are not. When someone says "ems are relative, pixels are not",
> they are talking about being relative to font size.

The CSS spec says that px is relative to the viewing device. That is just so
much hocus pocus legalistic babble, as the size of the viewing device and
thus its subdivisions we call px is always unknown to anyone not looking at
it. Px really needs a special CSS classification of its own - non-relative,
non-absolute, anti-accessible, not recommended for sizing text or text
containers.
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409