[thelist] losing irritated / arrogant customers off my books

Brian Cummiskey brian at hondaswap.com
Mon Aug 6 16:00:44 CDT 2007

Randal Rust wrote:
> We have a reseller account that we use for many of our clients. If the
> system goes down, I can't fall back on the idea that it's someone
> else's fault. Our clients pay us, not someone else. However, our
> clients do understand that the hosting environment is run by another
> company. But if there is a problem, we get on the phone right away to
> find out what's going on.
The only fail safe to that is a LOT of expensive hardware.
Replicated servers and a switch/DNS box of some sort to direct traffic
on the fly to the available box.

and even then, if the lines are cut to the DNS box, both your servers
are useless.

down time is inevitible.

I think we should re-coin the phrase "death and taxes" to "death, taxes,
and some downtime"

:)