[thelist] losing irritated / arrogant customers off my books

Bob Meetin ontheroad at frii.com
Tue Aug 7 08:26:14 CDT 2007

One of my clients just got blindsided by a huge hosting bill for
overage.  I will have more on this separately, but unexpected bills can
cause untold problems, time, hassle, etc.  The hosting company has thus
far ignored attempts to amend the situation.  ---- Don't blindside ----
never never never

If you have already sat down and explained the facts in a politically
correct manner, both expectations of hosting and service, then it's time
to make up a pricing sheet/other and share that.  Say in U.S. dollars
(don't know quid):

My time is worth $75/hour
For service calls I charge in minimum blocks of 1/4, 1/2/, 1 hour, etc.
Why the minimum? - distraction, change of focus
Basic hosting - this is what to expect, cost and service - visit their
site for details
Super hosting - .......
Training - you might offer a different rate for training.  - I offer
training and provide documentation (and I itemize charges in bills so
that folks know)
Put it in chart format so that it can be used for everyone (appears
non-discriminatory)

In summary - this amounts to setting expectations, but doing it in a
more formal manner.

-Bob

    Somebody suggested sending your client a bill for the time you've spent
    on them; with respect, I think that's absolutely the worst idea, as it
    creates bad feeling where there doesn't need to be any. It might be
    worth having a rough idea of the amount though, because you can always
    bring it into the conversation to give them an idea of what it's costing
    you for things to be as they are.