[thelist] Windows WebDAV problem with authentication

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Aug 17 23:06:01 CDT 2007

Hi,

See
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841215
for intructions

Note that Windows XP Explorer WebDAV redirector doesn't support SSL/TLS (which is probably why Basic Auth got turned off), so enabling Basic auth is a bit of a security issue here.

Cheers
Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On Behalf Of Hassan Schroeder
Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2007 5:09 AM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] Windows WebDAV problem with authentication

On 8/16/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> Windows XP SP2 disables Basic authentication in the WebDAV Redirector.  To
> re-enable Basic Authentication, add the UserBasicAuth registry entry to the
> following registry subkey, and then set the entry to a non-zero value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters

Did you try this? And/or do you have any idea if it matters what type
of subkey (string, binary, doubleword..) it is?

I've had zero luck so far, other than sending my XP into a death spiral.
Good thing I could just revert to last VMWare snapshot ... :-)

TIA,