[thelist] dvd grabber- recommendations?

Charles lists07 at wiltgen.net
Sat Aug 18 12:12:43 CDT 2007

> Search for DVDshrink, this allows you to convert. DVDdecrypter
> also changes the region setting. I bought a lot of DVDs in the
> US and had to convert them to play on my mac here, too. It is
> just annoying.

Those are great tools, but many current DVDs won't work with them because
(1) they haven't been updated for some time, and (2) studios have been
purposely making DVDs that are technically out-of-spec in an attempt to
"poison" fair use tools.

The author of DVD Shrink was hired by Nero to make Nero Recode.  It doesn't
de-CSS, and for that I recommend AnyDVD.  I haven't tried SlySoft's other
products (like CloneDVD), but I'd expect them to be good as well.

-- Charles