[thelist] Basic RSS question (I think)

Matthew Bernhardt bernhardt.7 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 23 20:43:06 CDT 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:32:42 -0400, Dan Stockton <prosayist at inbox.com>
wrote:

> Matthew Bernhardt wrote:
>>    .. is.. RSS.. better.. generated on demand,
>> or.. a process that builds the XML file every so
>> often (i.e. every day, or every few hours)?
>>

> What is necessary for your application?

Generally speaking, I don't think much is necessary. I like the idea
(mentioned by someone else) of rebuilding the feed everytime the data gets
modified, actually, so I'll probably look into that first. Am I right in
thinking that the feed should include -all- articles published, or would
it just be the most recent N (where N, for us, would stretch back several
months)

> How time sensitive is your information?

For some feeds, I'd say its somewhat sensitive (when we closed the
building due to snow emergency last winter, the feed would have picked
that up if we'd had it then). For others, I'm generally fine with building
it each night.

> What are your limitations in regard to bandwidth?

I haven't hit a problem yet, here.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Bernhardt, bernhardt.7 at osu.edu