[thelist] what means .us.com?

Erika ekm at seastorm.com
Sat Aug 25 12:18:48 CDT 2007

I have a client who purchased a .us.com domain name from dotster. I had
never heard of this extension, exactly, though I see that some corporate
sites use it, or something similar. This domain name was twice as
expensive as a regular .com domain name.

Several days after she reserved the name, we switched the DNS servers on
her account, to point to my hosting company (dreamhost).  So I know that
she had that domain listed on her account with dotster.  Then, a couple
days after that, I went to set up hosting for her, and got a message
from dreamhost, stating that the domain had not yet been registered.

I thought that was odd; and maybe it was a timing issue, so I went to
whois.org and attempted to look up registrant info.  I'm not sure I
could get to a .us.com domain, maybe it was just a .us.  (leading me to
wonder, is ".us.com" a "real" domain name?).  In any case, the name I
found had been registered to someone in Florida since 2005.

I'm confused.  Does anyone know anything about .us.com domain names?

Erika