[thelist] what means .us.com?

Dan Stockton prosayist at inbox.com
Sat Aug 25 20:21:36 CDT 2007

Lee Kowalkowski wrote:
> On 25/08/07, Erika <ekm at seastorm.com> wrote:
>> I'm confused.  Does anyone know anything about .us.com domain names?
>
> .. just be a case that us.com is a normal .com domain
> name (www.us.com) - which is currently owned by a company who think
> it's cool to sell some sub-domains.

us.com is registered through DSI escrow
(http://www.ironmountain.com/ipm/) with contacts listed as CentralNic
Ltd, London

"The idea for an independent global domain name registry stems from a
series of conversations between one of CentralNic's original founders
and the late Jon Postel, one of the founding fathers of the modern
Internet. Postel suggested the use of .UK.COM to compete with .CO.UK, at
a time when the proposed price of the latter was about $300. Using
UK.COM as its first domain name, NomiNation was founded in 1995, and
later became CentralNic."

http://www.centralnic.com/company

-Dan