[thelist] Software for basic video editing?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Sep 4 16:11:19 CDT 2007

I have a video camera on long term loan so I can take videos of my cute
little daughter. It records onto DV tapes, which is all fine and good.
Now I want to get the video off of there and turn it into video I can
show people, send to happy grandparents, etc.

The camera has a Firewire port and cable and my laptop has a firewire
port (which I've never used). So the connectivity issue seems straight
forward.

Now then...I plug the camera into the lap and...do what?

I obviously need some sort of software to capture the video and then
edit it and save it out to a file.

I'm running XP Pro at the moment but am quite comfortable using Linux as
well, so suggestions on software and tips for either platform would be
delightful.

Thanks,
Judah