[thelist] Compare Content in Multidimensional Array [PHP/SQL]

Stefan Schwarzer st.schwarzer at geois.de
Thu Sep 27 06:11:43 CDT 2007

Sorry for any confusion...

the aim is to plot a line graph for a single country but for two or
three variables. Now, one could use two different y-axis (if there
are two data sets with different units); but it's not really the
right way to analyse data.

One should rather normalize them to a base year to enhance
comparisons. To achieve this, one would set the values for a specific
year to 1 (or 100) and put the other values of all variables in
relation to it.

Thus, taking two variables, say,

		Fish Catch
			- in Thousand Metric Tons
			- data available for 1975 to 2005
	and
		Total Population
			- in Million People
			- data available for 1960 to 2005

Country is Kenya.

The "smallest common year" would be 1975. One needs thus to set the
values for that year to 1 (or 100), and calculate the other values of
the variables in respect to the needed factor.

Now the question is how to find that "smallest common year"
automatically, via SQL or PHP?

Thanks for any help!

Stef