[thelist] Form data to office database

Jon Molesa rjmolesa at consoltec.net
Tue Oct 9 12:26:00 CDT 2007

*On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:48:17AM -0700 Joel D Canfield <joel at streamliine.com> wrote:

> Access can be linked to other db tables in some read-only fashion, can't
> it? That way, the user could use the office links to dump it to Excel
> (commonly referred to as "Isn't This A Database?") and do whatever they
> want with their copy.

Yes, but Access users are accustomed to change what ever they want
whenever they want.  At least in my experience.  With read-only
permission eventually the request "Can you set this where I can change
it" comes.  And I again have to explain that you (the client) can only
view this table.  If you need to change something make a copy and work
on it there.  Then they have to remember to keep the two tables in sync.
It's a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure that the original post even mentioned Aceess as the end
user database.

--
Jon Molesa
rjmolesa at consoltec.net