[thelist] it's intellectual, but is it property? (was RE: GNU / GPL)

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Sun Oct 28 02:59:24 CDT 2007

Joel D Canfield schrieb:

> If I find a brilliant application for a fundamental bit of knowledge,
> though, that's the creative part that matters. If someone else simply
> steals my brilliant application, that's not the same thing.

_If_ your application actually _is_ brilliant. If all your application
does is more or less straightforward recombining facts known for years
in a way rather obvious, I wouldn't consider it "brilliant" anymore.
These days, especially talking about most of the "software patents", a
lot of "patented" things are actually ideas a computer science minor
could come up with during first years of his/her studies (except for
having time and money to actually get patent protection on it, that is)...

Cheers,
Kristian