[thelist] Layout stability

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Nov 6 12:25:05 CST 2007

On 2007/11/06 08:03 (GMT-0500) DAVOUD TOHIDY apparently typed:

> I would like to invite coders and designers to consider coding for  "layout stability" to increase the readability and usability of web content.

> Please visit my portfolio at http://cssfreelancer.awardspace.com .

> I am wondering what your opinion is about it.  Would you please provide a feedback?

Legibility should be job #1 when accessibility and usability are priorities.
This page mildly fails a basic legibility test. The text is all too small.
100% if my default is exactly the right size for most content, particularly P
text.http://www.useit.com/alertbox/designmistakes.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/bigdefaults.html
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/access-lipservice.html

7.3em is too narrow for .nav, as is 140px for #left, causing several LI to
split into 2 lines when no user CSS is employed, and Standardization to
overflow when it is.

The silver-gray Accessibility, About Me, About Portfolio and other headings
look like form buttons badly out of place on that dying plants color scheme.

The huge space between the P and the images to their right probably needs
trimming via an overall width limit or some more space to the right of the
images. Until zoom is applied to get the text up to legible size in a wide
browser window (1200px or more) it simply looks like shoddy design. It gets
worse at 2X text zoom because the lower image gets pushed down below the keep
in touch P. By 3X zoom it's horribly broken after .nav.
--
"   A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409