[thelist] purchasing a SLL certificate

Tim Palac tymartist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:18:28 CST 2007

I don't pretend to know a lot about SSL, but I know that you can get free
ones too!  OpenSSL, for instance.  My friend actually implemented one on
their web server and it seems to be working really well.  Our company uses
Verisign - according to Wikipedia's entry on SSL, Verisign leads the market,
and GoDaddy has about 2% share of the market.

So what does this all mean?  My view is that it's like any other market for
a universal product.  You can buy an IPod from the Apple Store, Circuit
City, Best Buy, and you can buy an SSL certificate from Verisign, Thawt,
etc.  Once you implement the certificate, the encryption/lock happens, and
you're right - the company doesn't matter at all.  They're all using similar
if not the same encryption, and it's just as hard to crack.

Some security experts might disagree with me.  Honestly, I'd probably go
with something that was a mixture of cheap and  from a vendor who I could
look up reviews on that had good support.

Tim
http://www.timpalac.com/blog
IM: TymArtist