[thelist] broken mysql table

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 16:51:16 CST 2007

> error 127

which means "Record-file is crashed"

> There's a repair function buit into phpmyadmin

that might well be using MySQL's REPAIR TABLE:
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/repair.html>

> While that solves the immediate crisis, it also raises lots of
> questions. How can a database table spontaneously break?

 From <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/corrupted-myisam-tables.html>
# The mysqld process is killed in the middle of a write.
# An unexpected computer shutdown occurs (for example, the computer is
turned off).
# Hardware failures.
# You are using an external program (such as myisamchk) to modify a
table that is being modified by the server at the same time.
# A software bug in the MySQL or MyISAM code

> Is there
> anything I can do to prevent it from happening again (I have the same
> basic shopping cart running on several sites)?

- upgrage MySQL
- change hardware
- tell the host not to pull the plug just like that

> Does it have anything
> to do with the structure of the table or the data put in it?

My wild guess would be: "no" - but then again, it just might... it might
be worthwhile to ensure no control characters are entered with text.

.k