[thelist] Other-than-XLS-format to use for Excel-Worksbooks ?

Eduardo Kienetz eduardok at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 08:31:23 CST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 12:01 PM, David Dorward <david at dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> On 23 Nov 2007, at 13:56, Eduardo Kienetz wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 2007 11:54 AM, David Dorward <david at dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> >> This isn't something I'd suggest for any file you plan to distribute.
> >> You're bound to run into a situation where an application that knows
> >> how to handle Excel data tries to open it, finds HTML, tries to treat
> >> it like Excel data, fails and gives up.
> >
> > Excel allows you to save as HTML and, obviously, read/open that same
> > 'data'. So as long as you keep it in the format excel generates it
> > works fine.
>
> I said "An application that knows how to handle Excel data" not
> "Excel", and by "Excel data" I mean the Excel data format, not any
> kind of data that Excel can generate.

Still, OpenOffice opens it. Just tried it now.
I said to save as HTML in Excel just to check the syntax it
particularly uses, but OpenOffice will know it is 'HTML from Excel'
even if it has .xls extension.
It is not an easy process to adjust it to display well in other
software, but it is possible depending on what 'features' you need.

--
Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz
LPI Certified - Level 2