[thelist] OT: Need a new laptop for development...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 02:33:33 CST 2007

On 26 Nov 2007, at 12:10, Nan Harbison wrote:

> I recently had to get a new laptop. It was really hard to find one
> with
> Windows XP, they all were going to come with Vista, which I was not
> ready to
> conquer for many reasons. And, a tech guy in a big computer store
> told me
> that Vista has issues with getting into VPNs, which is essential for
> my job.
> I didn't have time to research this so I am not sure whether it is
> true. I
> was able to get an HP in a computer store with XP loaded.

Dell let you specify XP, as does Lenovo (who also make *the* most
robust laptops - built like tanks).

> I was just using my sister's Mac, which she loves. But I am not sure
> I could
> handle the lack of a right-click mouse! How do you do all the right
> click
> stuff on a Mac anyway?

These days, they come with a multi-button (and 2d scrollwheel/ball)
mouse, and they've supported 3rd party multibutton USB mice for as
long as there's been USB.

Currently typing this on an iMac with a Packard Bell mouse with 3
buttons and a scrollwheel and it's lovely. The only reason for not
using the standard MightyMouse is the scrollball is too small for my
tastes. Not too small to be useful, just a physical irritant to me.

Cheers
Martin