[thelist] PHP n00b

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 10:38:12 CST 2008

I'm looking for a job in web design and a friend recommended I learn PHP
because it I'm more likely to find something with that skill than the
ASP I already know. But, quite frankly, I'm struggling a bit. I bought
the latest O'Reilly book http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514013/
but I'm not finding that it explains things very well. One of the
examples of code is below...

<?php

class cat
         {
          var $age;
          function cat($now_age) { $this->age = $now_age; }

          function birthday() { $this->age++; }
         }

$fluffy = new cat(1);
echo "Age is $fluffy->age <br>";
echo "Birthday<br>";

$fluffy->birthday();

echo "Age is $fluffy->age <br>";
?>

Could somebody tell me if my understanding of this is correct please.
The piece of code '$this->age = $now_age' is what is baffling me

1. I am declaring $age as a variable
2. Presumably I cannot use a variable as a parameter of a function, so
'$this->age = $now_age' effectively puts the value of the variable into
the parameter. Is this right?

If I am correct it seems a pretty ar$e-about-face way of doing things,
the purpose of which will no doubt be revealed to me at some later date

Thanks, and a (belated) Happy New Year to you all :)

--
Kevin Stevens
www.ratking.co.uk