[thelist] PHP - Making All Links Unique (even to same page)

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 02:56:13 CST 2008

Hi folks.

Long time goner, first time poster.

On Jan 16, 2008 10:41 AM, Drew Shiel <ashiel at sportsinteraction.com> wrote:

> This means that the authority of any one page is diluted, since the search
> engines see it as X different pages, where X is your number of internal
> links to it. Also, it's likely that these "multiple pages" will be given a
> duplicate content penalty, resulting in only one of them, chosen very
> nearly
> at random, showing up in the search engines.

I believe google is clever enough on detecting what is "intentionally"
duplicated and what is
actual content, but I would not throw my dice on it anyway.

The following excrept is from google's duplicate content definition [1]:

"
Examples of non-malicious duplicate content could include:

   - Discussion forums that can generate both regular and stripped-down
   pages targeted at mobile devices
   - Store items shown or linked via multiple distinct URLs
   - Printer-only versions of web pages

"

[1]
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359