[thelist] PHP - Making All Links Unique (even to same page)

Mark A. MacInnes mark.macinnes at awakeanddreaming.net
Wed Jan 16 10:39:27 CST 2008

Thanks all for the replies.

On 16/01/2008, Randal Rust <randalrust at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2008 10:15 AM, Joshua Olson <joshua at waetech.com> wrote:
>
> > My suggestion would be to NOT create unique links
>
> I agree with Josh, but for different reasons. I think they really do
> need to explain what they are trying to accomplish here, and then they
> need to see if they can get the data from Google Analytics by querying
> particular URL strings. GA has an API too, so development time might
> be better spent hooking into than instead of mucking up your URLs.
>
> My first thought when I saw your post is that your marketing people
> are trying to fool Google and other SEs into thinking you have more
> pages than you really do. That will only get you in trouble.

The marketing guys definitely aren't trying to fool Google - I have
explained to them that we quite simply will not try to trick any search
engines (because its completely unethical as far as I am concerned and
because google will will take action if anything like that is tried), so
that is not their motivations. They do just want to understand which links
in a page are used by visitors i.e. navigation/within-content/ banners etc.

I don't want to change any links to pages at all, so using Javascript does
sound like a route to investigate.

I will definitely also look at the GA API as you suggested.

Thanks again for your replies. I will post any outcomes of this FYI.

Cheers!

--
Mark A. MacInnes

It only takes a click a day to help: