[thelist] Forcing ASP.NET code to validate?

Jon Hughes hughesj at firemtn.com
Thu Jan 17 12:01:04 CST 2008

I've spent the last 2 years getting the company I work for to adopt
standards, and it's been a rough road, but I have succeeded for the most
part.  Nobody is allowed to promote pages that have validation errors or
are using tables for layout.

That's just on the designer side.

Enter the programmers.

Our site is currently running on classic ASP, and they are working on
migrating over to ASP.NET - The problem? I just looked at a test page,
and saw the following:

<input type="hidden" name="__EVENTTARGET" id="__EVENTTARGET" value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="__EVENTARGUMENT" id="__EVENTARGUMENT"
value="" />
<input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE"
value="/wEPDwUJOTM0NDgzMjAwZGS/dHbq/U6itDoMWx2lQtHNAj9AwQ==" />

This is generated (along with some javascript that is not used) by the
ASP.NET - and the programmers don't know how to get rid of it.  But it
causes all pages to no longer validate.

Does anyone know how to get these to either go away, or make them
validate?

Thank You,
- Jon Hughes