[thelist] is hosting adequate?

Volkan Özçelik volkan.ozcelik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 02:19:32 CST 2008

Hi Bob,

On Jan 22, 2008 1:55 AM, Bob Meetin <bobm at dottedi.biz> wrote:

> I have a project that is about to start and will involve Joomla CMS.  My
> experience is that Joomla commonly carries a little extra bandwidth
> baggage than simple HTML or PHP sites.

imho, bandwitdth  should not  be  a big issue unless you expect to have
10.000+ unique visitors per day.
With proper optimization and caching, you can happily live with shared
hosting.
Actually, it is a matter of preference (and budget).
If the project succeeds, sooner or later you find yourself in need of a
dedicated server.
(As a side not playing with a dedicated server is really fun, you install
whatever you like, no limits on CPU, you can modify your php.ini as you like
-- at a cost of course ;)

These are the "pro" sides.

As per the "con" sides:
You are fully responsible for your server's security and maintainance.
- you manage your own firewall
- you set up your own backup cron jobs etc.)

You can start with a shared hosting initially. It is always possible to have
a VPS or a dedicated server later on.

>From my experience, migration (configurational changes,DNS propagation,
murphy rules, etc. etc.) will be a pain in the rear for about 2 days to 1
week.

To sum up, if you are starting a brand new project, being on budget is more
important, I believe.

Cheers,
--
Volkan Ozcelik