[thelist] MS SS7 - SELECT [computed field] syntax question

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at hp.com
Fri Jan 25 12:47:59 CST 2008

Matt Warden also suggested 'case':

>>I don't know about MS SQL's special sauce way of doing it, but this is how I'd do it:

>>(case when Field_1='XX' and Field_2='YY' then 'New Value' else Field_3
>>end) as New_field_3

Hi Matt,

Yeah.  It took a few minutes for the brain cells to warm up and remember 'case'
this morning.  (Too many Oracle [decode]s I guess.)

After a bit, I had this part working (Okay - so I pretty much cut and pasted it
from the MSDN T-SQL on-line reference ... but with the amount of effort it
took me to find it in there (Grrrr) I figger I earned it!):

SELECT
Field_1,
CASE Field_2
         WHEN 'UN' THEN 'United We Stand'
         WHEN 'OP' THEN 'Opt for more beer!'
         ELSE 'Not for sale'
      END AS Report_Cat,
FROM dishere_table

Unfortunately, other forest fires started flaring up and I didn't get a chance
to test [AND] [.AND.] [||] and/or nested [CASE] statements to try to get the
'compound' portion of the expression working.

This is a winner.  Thanks much for the heads up!!

RonL.