[thelist] SSL Certificate Choices

kasimir-k kasimir.k.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 16:53:53 CST 2008

Nan Harbison scribeva in 01/25/2008 10:50 PM:
> What about Open SSL or whatever it is called? Isn't it free? I think I
> figured out the only difference between price levels of SSL certificates was
> how much due diligence the vendor did on your company to verify you are who
> you say you are.

Indeed, that's the difference. And those certificate authorities who
verify more diligently tend to be accepted by major browsers as trusted.
Using a free certificate the visitors must usually excplictly accept the
CA as trusted. And if it is a site targeted to general public, the
browser popping up a question "do you really trust this certificate
authority?" does not appear too trustworthy...

.k