[thelist] DBA tyrants -v- app devs was: MySQL Storage Engine Choices or Are Foreign Key

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 03:43:22 CST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:01:50 -0500, rudy wrote:

> would you generally categorize application developers as a group of people
> who pay close attention to adhering to standards because doing so is the
> optimum strategy for the organization in the long run, or who look for a
> way
> to get the frigging job done by friday, the odds of which improve
> dramatically if they don't have to dot all the i's and cross all the t's
> the
> way that power-hungry petty tyrant in the DBA department wants them to?

And this, my friends, is why if at all possible, you need an overall architect. Or better: a Design Authority.

That way, Doing The Right Thing isn't an order from the tyrant in the DBA dept, but is an order from On High.

Or at least, compromising Doing The Right Thing is done with the knowledge and support from On High. Because sometimes, hitting deadlines *is* more important than quality.

Remember: Quality, Cost and Schedule - it's a 3 way balance. Move any one of the three, and at least one of the others will change to compensate.

Cheers
Martin

--
"Names, once they are in common use   | Spammers: Send me email to
 quickly become mere sounds, their    | -> yumyum at easyweb.co.uk
 etymology being buried, like so many | my filter. Currently killing over
 of the earth's marvels, beneath the  | 99.9% of all known spams stone dead.
 dust of habit." - Salman Rushdie     | http://nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam