[thelist] PHP/MSQL question millions or thousands

Fred D Yocum fdy at mcc.org
Wed Feb 6 13:54:09 CST 2008

Wow, I am on digest mode, (probably not a good idea when asking a
question) what a lot of good thought provoking replies! I did a recipe
site once before (for the collection of recipes) and now remember how
difficult to impose a structured order on recipes -- which can vary
enormously depending on who is supplying it.

 http://www.nibblous.com Recipe and ingredients are held in one text
field. What saves you from having carrotts or hum? How to index just the
ingredients? Perhaps on processing you check each word against a table of
ingredients and create a tag cluster held with the recipe record from the
hits found. This also might save one from ingredient naming variations
(Swede = Rutabaga, Zucchini= Marrow)

> ...it is hard to think of an interface where creating a recipe would be
refreshingly simple given such a database design, especially when I start
thinking about how a qty, unit, preparation style, brand name, etc. would
all be valid variations of the same ingredient.

Ta everyone,
Fred D