[thelist] setting up users for Plone

Bruce Gilbert webguync at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:29:24 CST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 12:58 PM, John DeStefano <john.destefano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Two ways:
> 1) through Plone's interface: in Site Setup, go to Users and Groups
> and click Add New User.  Or go directly there with the URL /
> prefs_users_overview
> 2) through the ZMI interface: in acl_users, go to source_users and
> click Add a user.  Or go directly there with the URL /acl_users/
> source_users/manage_users
> Note: if the username/password is going to be for Plone, and not for
> its underlying Zope, I would recommend always using option 1) to do
> this.

I set up the user name password in the plone controller as an
emergency user, but when I login, I get an error. I didn't see where
you could add a new user under the Plone interface. I only see a tab
for users, but adding a new user isn't an option :-(

Time  	2008/02/11 21:20:41.902 US/Central
User Name (User Id) 	webguync (None)
Request URL 	http://localhost/front-page/document_view
Exception Type 	AttributeError
Exception Value 	portal_groups

> > on a related not, does anyone have any thoughts on Plone as far as
> > ease of use and the learning curve?
>
> Ease of use, for users, I assume?  It's nice for users once it has
> been set up properly, but this takes a considerable amount of time,
> effort, and knowledge on the part of the admin.  As far as
> administration: it does some nice things out of the box, but if you
> ever need it to do anything more, it can be nightmare-ish.  I've been
> using and administering Plone sites for almost two years, and I've run
> into quite a bit of difficulty.  Let me know if you need help.
>
> ~John

actually ease of use as far as administering and configuring and
altering the templates, and modules.

--
::Bruce::